Rapport is important to become a successful businessman. According to Napoleon Hill, “It is much more profitable to be a good listener than a good talker.” This means that possessing a pleasing personality allows a person to build better relationship with others. This results in better chances of closing deals ad selling products for businessmen.
Hill proposes the following steps in order to become a person with pleasing personality:
- Form the habit of interesting yourself in other people; and make it your business to find their good qualities and speak of them in terms of praise.
- Develop the ability to speak with force and conviction, both in your ordinary conversational tones and before public gatherings, where you must use more volume.
- Clothe yourself in a style that is becoming to your physical build and the work in which you are engaged.
- Develop a positive character, through the aid of the formula outlined in this lesson.
- Learn how to shake hands so that you express warmth of feeling and enthusiasm through this form of greeting.
- Attract other people to you by first “attracting yourself” to them.
- Remember that your only limitation, within reason, is the one which YOU set up in YOUR OWN mind.
- I hope you find a way to include developing a pleasing personality into your success tool kit.
Aside from Hill, another person that has taught me so much about the importance of pleasing personality is my wife. She taught me that softening up, becoming a person that is much happier to be around with, and becoming more carefree does wonders in many aspects of life and this includes business.
So start smiling and listen more to people. By listening more and speaking less, you allow people to have a better perception of you which then allows them to trust you more.